This summer, plus up your sliced watermelon by adding fresh greens, avocado and jicama. Did you know jicama is a root vegetable native to Mexico? It is crisp and refreshing and is great paired with watermelon. Finish this dish off with pan-seared shrimp and a sweet and tangy basil lime vinaigrette for the perfect summer salad.
Total Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serving Size: 4 people
Calories: 570 cal/serving
- 1 1/4 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 6 oz. or 8 cups baby kale
- 1 cup jicama, cubed
- 2 cups watermelon, cubed
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija or feta cheese
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup Basil Lime Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Basil for garnish
Basil Lime Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup sunflower or olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice (about 4 limes)
- 1 Tbsp. honey or agave
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- In a small bowl mix the shrimp, olive oil, garlic and salt. Marinade for 15 minutes at room temperature.
- While the shrimp is marinating, in a blender or food processor, combine the oil, lime juice, honey or agave, basil, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Blend on medium speed for a 20 seconds.
- Prepare a skillet on medium high heat. Cook shrimp for 2-3 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 145°.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the greens and vinaigrette then toss to coat. Top with watermelon, jicama, avocado, cheese and shrimp. Garnish with basil.